Orange Chicken is one of my most liked Chinese chicken dishes which I tend to order when I go for takeaways. I have actually cooked it several times at home, however made the decision last week that I was going to cook a skinny orange chicken.
I started with four lean skinless, boneless succulent chicken breasts which I proceeded to slice in half length-wise afterwhich I cut into some bite sized pieces. I have found that they actually cook a more evenly this way and it tends to save a load of time when preparing and cooking chicken within recipes like this one. You will want to be certain that you are using a sharp knife and I also tend to like to put my chicken right into the freezer for around 20 minutes as it tends to make them just right for cutting.
I also tossed my chicken breasts into a clean skillet with a small bit of coconut oil. However you may use olive oil, fresh butter, or a combine the two for a great tasting flavor.
Whilst my chicken breasts were browning, I proceeded to mix the sauce thats goes with the chicken. While the traditional skinny orange chicken almost always calls for pan frying the actual chicken bites within a cornstarch mixture. I decided to omit that part in order to reduce several calories.
As soon as the chicken breats were browned, I then removed them from the hot skillet while I cooked the actual sauce in order to reduce it for the dressing. You will surely love all of the substitutions that I made. It actually tastes so very fresh and absolutely delicious!
Orange Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 4 fresh skinless, boneless succulent chicken breasts, which have been cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup of fresh chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons of raw honey or raw maple syrup
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- ¼ cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons of coconut aminos
- 1½ teaspoons of fresh Sriracha sauce
- ¼ teaspoon of fresh ground ginger
- 1 pinch red of pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds for the garnish
Orange Chicken Recipe Instructions
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium skillet using a medium to high heat. Then add in the chicken pieces and then cook until the chicken is cooked through and also lightly browned, around 7-10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and then set aside.
- While the chicken is still cooking, mix together the fresh chicken stock, raw honey or raw maple syrup, fresh garlic, orange zest, freshly squeezed orange juice, the coconut aminos, the Sriracha sauce, the ginger and the red pepper flakes. Pour this into a heated skillet as soon as the chicken has been removed and then reduce to a low heat. Cook, making sure to stir often, until the sauce has been reasonably reduced and it coats the backside of a wooden spoon. Proceed to remove from the heat and then pour over the chicken.
- To serve, immediately spoon the chicken over a bed of freshly steamed broccoli and then proceed to spoon on some additional sauce. Lastly top with fresh sesame seeds.